Sunday, July 17, 2011

Crimson Bee Balm



Crimson Bee Balm, Oswego Tea : Monarda didyma     

Interesting fact: The events of the Boston Tea Party in 1773 led to a shortage of tea in America and the leaves of this plant were sometimes used as subsitute. 

"Flowers have spoken to me more than I can tell in written words.  They are the hieroglyphics of angels, loved by all men for the beauty of their character, though few can decipher even fragments of their meaning."
       Lydia M. Child (1802-1880): American abolitionist and women's rights activist, novelist and journalist.

2 comments:

Sheila Read said...

A lovely quote. Your post reminded me that I harvested some bee balm leaves for tea - it makes a refreshing mild tea. Think I'll go make a glass!

pumpkydine said...

Thanks Shelia. I would love to know how you make it and which parts you use. I have never seen Bee Balm around where I live, but find it often in the mountains.