Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Say Cheese!

I happened upon this dragonfly in a local marsh I frequent and it allowed me to slip up rather close and set up my camera without moving. With somewhat harsh light, I began to snap a few shots and the wind was just enough to cause my subject to blurr just a bit from the movement. After a few shots, I noticed that the dragonfly would open and close it's eyes. This was just the coolest thing I had seen in a while so I set about to capture it closing it's eyes. This was harder than I thought as it was a very quick motion. But then as if it knew it was being photographed, it posed for me with what could be called a most inviting pose and grin and then held it's eyes closed long enough for me to snap the last shot before it decided the pay wasn't good enough for all the stress. Ha Ha!

          I believe this to be a male Blue Dasher.   Eyes open.

              Say Cheese, Please!    Isn't that the cutest grin!


           Thank you!     Eyes closed.

"Deep in the sun-searched growths the dragonfly
hangs like a blue thread loosened from the sky."
  Dante Gabriel Rossetti(1828-1882): English Poet, Illustrator, and Painter

3 comments:

Marty said...

I didn't know that they can close their eyes !! beautiful shots !
funny !

Rick said...

Great shots, Randy ! I just showed these to my 2 granddaughters (6, 4) who are here on a visit - they loved them too !

Checked out your sunset and creek shots too - gorgeous !

pumpkydine said...

Marty, I have seen them do this several times but I have never been able to get a pic of it, till now. It is a little funny to see them do it live as it is a really quick motion.

Thanks Rick for the kind words. I spend alot of time with my 3year old granddaughter looking at all the pictures. It is really a blessing to be able to share things with a young mind and just see the wonder in their exspressions and with their questions. God bless!