Thursday, August 18, 2011

A Priestly Flower?

I got to go back to one of my favorite places this past week and that was LeConte Lodge on top of Mt. LeConte near Gatlinburg, TN. The lodge is at 6593' elevation and is a wilderness lodge and is only accessible by foot. The shortest trail to the lodge is 5 miles and the longest is just over 8 miles. The flowers were in full bloom around the lodge area and I added another beauty to my list of flowers I have never seen(or at least never noticed) before. These were growing right beside the dinning hall along with Bee Balm and Yellow Coneflowers. 

Monkshood  Aconitum uncinatum

The flower is shaped similar to a Monks hood.

 It has been used as an external pain reliever but is considered         
poisonous. Indians used this flower as a poison for their arrow tips.

"Nature is the art of God."
     Thomas Browne(1605-1682): English Author in various fields including medicine, religion and science.

No comments: