Tuesday, August 9, 2011

July Beauties!

July and early August can be a really hard time to find much in the way of wild native flora to photograph due to the hot days and low moisture(usually). But if you are vigilant, persistent, and willing to do a little rambling in some unlikely places, there are a few specimens that usually go un-noticed by the everyday passerby. Here are a few friends I found on a couple of outings over the last two weeks. Some of these I have never noticed before myself and have passed by their abodes for many years, but just too busy to stop, get out and "Walk In The Woods" for a bit.  ( I am not a flower expert so if I have mis-identified any of these beauties, please don't hesitate to let me know.)                          
                                Pencil Flower - Styloanthes biflora

                                Naked-Flower Tick Trefoil - Desmodium nudiflorum

                                Seedpod for Trefoil

                                Woodland Sunflower - Helianthus divaricatus

                            
                                Maryland Meadow Beauty - Rhexia mariana
                               
                               Urn-shaped fruit of the Meadow Beauty

                               Spurred Butterfly Pea - Centrosema virginianum   
                               Unidentified bee that lit just as I clicked the shutter!

                                                           
                     
                               Butterfly Pea - Clitoria mariana



                                 Can someone help me with this one? The flower is like a dandelion
                                so I thought maybe False Dandelion but stems and leaves not right.



                                Garden or Fall Phlox - Phlox paniculata


To Cast My Eyes Your Way

How oft have I passed your way
And never a glance gave you
Off to more important things
The things I must daily do

If only I had cast an eye
From down the path I followed
To gaze upon the beauty there
Along meadow, brook and hollow

All shapes, sizes and colors
Yellow, Gold, Red and Blue
Asters, Iris, Lily and Violets
To name but just a few

All made by God and placed for me
To brighten up my day
If only I had took the time
To cast my eyes your way

             Randy J. Schultz   October 1st, 2009

Hope everyone has a wonderful week and may all your paths be gentle, your tread ways be soft and your endeavors fruitful.
Randy

No comments: