Sunday, August 28, 2011

Sunset from Mt. LeConte!

At 6600+ feet elevation, Cliff Top is the western point on the summit of Mt. LeConte in the Great Smoky Mountain National Park. After eating a delicious meal prepared by the lodge crew, most guests elect to make the short .2 of a mile hike out to Cliff Top to watch the sun set. On this particular day the clouds tried to mask the sun but they could not prevent a beautiful sunset. The sun had it's due inspite of the cloud cover. It is really an awesome experience to set and watch the subtle changes that occur as the sun, clouds and mountains interact and dance their magic for the eyes to behold.

                           These shots were taken within a few minutes of each other looking across
                                the peaks and valleys of the Great Smoky Mountain National Park.

                                As the day slowy gives way to the coming night, the last rays spread
                                          their beauty across the mountains in one last hoorah!
 
                                        And the bright white light softly filtered by the clouds

changes before our eyes to a warm yellow and gold


                                   before fading into that orange glow marking the end of another
                                                   beautiful day in God's wonderful creation.
                           


Oh, Great Spirit
Whose voice I hear in the winds,
And whose breath gives life to all the world,
hear me, I am small and weak,
I need your strength and wisdom.
Le me walk in beauty and make my eyes ever behold
the red and purple sunset.

Make my  hands respect the things you have
made and my ears sharp to hear your voice.
Make me wise so that I may understand the things
you have taught my people.
Let me learn the lessons you have
hidden in every leaf and rock.

I seek strength, not to be greater than my brother,
but to fight my greatest enemy - myself.
Make me always ready to come to you
with clean hands and straight eyes.
So when life fades, as the fading sunset,
my Spirit may come to you without shame.
Native American Prayer

4 comments:

Marty said...

what a nice and quiet place it must be ! love the poem too !

pumpkydine said...

Thanks Marty, it is a very quite and peaceful place. No cars, no phones to ring, not even any power to run all those noisy gadgets we depend on. Temperature has never been above 80 degrees and a little cover feels good at night even in summer.

Susie Swanson said...

This is a beautiful poem. So happy to find your blog. Will visit often.. Susie

pumpkydine said...

Thank you Susie. Likewise on your site. I tried to leave you a comment last night but for some reason blogger would not recognize my name and would not allow me to comment on several blogs. I'm afraid my computer is needing a visit to the shop.
Have a blessed day!