Saturday, September 3, 2011

Clear-Winged Sphinx Moth

Growing up on a farm in central Alabama I was taught at an
early age about wasps, bees and other not so friendly insects.
As young boys my brother and I were always exploring and playing
in the woods, fields and yes, mothers and grandmothers garden. One
of the most vivid memories I have as a young lad was being stung by
a bee for the first time. I remember learning that bumble bees could
really hurt. One day while playing I happened upon what I thought at 
the time was a bumble bee on steroids. It was the biggest bee I had
ever laid eyes on and I ran for cover every time I saw one around the
garden. To a bright eyed kid it looked like a bumble bee, just larger!
Much larger! I didn't learn until many years later in a entomology class in
college that what I thought was a bee was actually a moth. Well I have
overcome my fears of the creature and was delighted to find a couple 
going about their business in a nearby state park. The moths are very
hard to photograph because they just won't be still long enough for a 
shot. So if these seem a little blurry, I gave it my best. 

Clear-Winged Sphinx Moth - Hemaris thysbe

It is almost the size of a hummingbird.

Also called Hawk and Hummingbird Moth


I don't know if this color variation is a different specie
or just a color or age thing, but it sure is pretty.



"Between our birth and death we may touch understanding, as a moth brushes a
window with its wing."
         Christopher Fry(1907-2005): English Playwright

No comments: