Sunday, September 11, 2011

On Heavens Breath!

The butterflies are out in force in the deep south and
while clicking the shutter on a few flutterbys last week
this little guy happened along. Although it has obviously
been through a tough time, it was still trying to carry out
its mission here on earth. I couldn't help but feel a little
sorry for it and wonder what happened to cause the wing
damage. Did it get caught out in the storm and wind? Did
it have a bad encounter with a predator? Or perhaps did
it have a run in with a motor vehicle on a highway? It is
really amazing if you notice the number of butterflies that
meet their demise on the highways and byways.

Pipevine Swallowtail     Battus philenor

Although its damage is pretty severe, it still carries on!
I wrote this poem and used on another post some time ago
but thought it was just too fitting for this little fellow.


On Heaven's Breath


On Heaven's Breath I flutterby
Pressed against her deep blue breast
Over lake and stream I tarry nigh
Through field and wood I rest

True course I hold through wind and storm
A journey far from start to end
Constant dangers are endless born
Waiting, lurking, round every bend

I cast my lot upon the breeze
And pray a gentle hand it give
By fate it carries me where it please
Through countless battles I must live

And when I cross your path one day
On Heaven's Breath I flutterby
Cast your eyes upon my way
And say a pray for butterfly

Randy Schultz August 24, 2010

8 comments:

Rick said...

A nice ode to a butterfly, Randy. And a couple of great shots to go with it ! I prefer to think that the butterfly has weathered life's storms and despite the battering, it carries on its assigned task ! A lesson for us.

Have a great week !

Sheila said...

That is a lovely butterfly poem. Wow - I've never seen a butterfly so battered. The resilience of God's creatures is amazing.

Susie Swanson said...

I love butterflys and this poem is so beautiful. You make the butterflies proud..Susie

pumpkydine said...

Thanks Rick, I couldn't agree more that there is a lesson there for us as well. We will all face storms, it is up to us as to how we deal with them and move on. Thankfully we have a mighty friend whom we can turn to!

Thanks Sheila! This little one has surely seen some hard times. God has instilled in all creatures an amazing will to live and do their part to carry out His great design.


Thank you Susie for stopping by and the kind words. I love the butterflies also. They go through such a transition and travel so far in such a short life! I have been trying to leave comments on your blog but for some reason unknown to me, it will not acknowledge my google account name. I do dearly love your poems also.

Marty said...

Beautiful poem and images !
love butterflies !

pumpkydine said...

Thank you so much Marty! It is hard not to like the butterflies. Theirs is a truly amazing life cycle from begining to end.

Karin / Southern Meadows said...

It is amazing the strength of butterflies despite the fact that they look so delicate. I often see battered butterflies and they continue on with life. You really know how to put pen to paper. Very nice poem!

pumpkydine said...

Thank you for the gracious comments. I am continually amazed how beautiful creation really is and it is hard to pen the proper words that reflect it's beauty and resilience. Have a blessed day!