Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Indian Pipe

On a recent walk in the woods I ran across another plant that I can
add to my list of new plants or flowers this year called Indian Pipe.
This plant lives without chlorophyll, thus the white or clear color. It
grows in rich, shady areas of leaf litter much like mushrooms. It gets
its nutrients from a mutual relationship with a type of wood rotting
fungi that generate nutrients for the plant to use.

Indian Pipe  - Montropa uniflora

When fertilized, it turns a pinkish color and 
 when picked it turns black, thus the reason it is also
called Corpse Plant, Ice Plant and Ghost Flower

Native Americans used the juice from
the stem for an eye medicine.
     .

"Flowers have an expression of countenance as much as men or animals. Some seem to smile; some have a sad expression; some are pensive and diffident; others again are plain, honest and upright, like the broad-faced sunflower and the hollyhock."
   Henry Ward Beecher(1813-1887): Clergyman, Social Reformer, Abolitionist

To some of my blogger friends, I have been trying to leave you a message on your blogs but for some reason, blogger is not acknowledging my blog name and will not allow me to leave a message. I have tried to comment in the open ID also but no use either. Hopefully they will get the issue resolved soon. I am still able to comment on some blogs but not others. Go Figure! I am still enjoying your posts and will comment as soon as this issue is resolved.  Randy

5 comments:

Sheila said...

That is one cool plant. It looks ghostly. Great photos and information!

Anonymous said...

Pretty insightful. Thanks!

My blog:
dsl angebote vergleich und dsl vergleich anbieter

pumpkydine said...

Thanks Sheila, it is a pretty cool plant. I never cease to be amazed at the things one can learn everyday. Our world is a pretty amazing place.

Anonymous, glad you stopped by and thanks for leaving a comment. I really do appreciate them all.

Andrea said...

This is awesome, just like the ghost orchid! By the way i love your header. I am new here so have to say that.

pumpkydine said...

Thank you Andrea for joining my site and the comments. I agee that the plant is awesome as is so much of nature. The header shot was taken in a national park in eastern Tennessee and just seemed to fit my blog perfectly. Hope you have a great day.
Randy