Wednesday, June 8, 2011

In the Blink of a Shutter!

It came from the past(behind me) into the present(beside me) and on into the future(beyond me). Time was stopped for an instant in the blink of a shutter. 


Nikon D-90  300mm at 1/500s   f/9.0    ISO 200  (Click for a bigger Picture)
This mature Great Blue Heron was cruising for lunch below the Wheeler Dam on the Tennessee River in North Alabama. There are bait fish galore in the water coming through the turbines and the birds know how to find them. They just cruise up and down a stretch of river directly below the dam until they spot a fish and then will lite in the water and pick it up. It is amazing to watch them go back and forth all day long.

"Time is the most undefinable yet paradoxical of things; the past is gone, the future is not come, and the present becomes the past even while we attempt to define it, and, like the flash of lightning, at once exists and expires."            Charles Caleb Colton (1780-1832): English Cleric, Writer and Collector

2 comments:

Sheila said...

A beautiful photo! I love watching blue herons when I visit my parents on the Gulf Coast of Florida. You may be amused by this photo I took on my last visit (scroll down to see the heron). http://greenplace-chapelhill.blogspot.com/2011/05/waterbirds-on-candid-camera.html

A great blog. Glad to have found it - and another blogger motivated to reflect the beauty of God's creation!

pumpkydine said...

Thanks Sheila for visiting and the kind words. You are right about the pics. That is amazing they get that close and don't seem afraid. The ones I photograph in North Miss and North Ala are not nearly that easy to approach. Glad to find your blog also. I enjoy finding others who love our Creator and His beautiful creation. May God Bless!