Sunday, February 20, 2011

Death by Deception?

Well I am just continually amazed at what one can see in nature if you just look around. I happened by this Great Blue Heron as he plucked this tasty morsel out of the Tennessee River at Pickwick State Park. I saw him grab the snack and turn it and drop it and I first thought he was playing with it but he picked it up and dropped it again and kind of tossed it in the air and I knew something was amiss. I then grabbed my camera and took this quick shot before I realized that this Great Blue Heron had picked up a plastic fishing worm some fisherman had left lying on a rock. I guess this ole bird was having a real difficult time trying to decide whether to eat this or not. I watched for a couple of minutes and then moved on leaving the bird still playing with the fake worm. While this was humorous at first, I later realized that this bird had been deceived. It looked like a worm, it kinda felt like a worm, but it was sure tough. Then I thought what if he actually swallowed the fake lure, would he be able to digest the thing? If he couldn't, would that be the death of him? We take so many things for granted and I am sure the fisherman that left the worms lying on the rock had no idea a bird would come along and try to eat it, but proof is in the picture. We all should be careful as to not do things that could adversely impact any wildlife. Fishing line, bottle caps, plastic and yes, even plastic fishing lures have the potential to harm one of God's creatures.

"Do not bite at the bait of pleasure, till you know there is no hook beneath it."
Thomas Jefferson(1743-1846): Founding Father, Principle author of the Declaration of Independence, 3rd U.S. President

No comments: