Saturday, February 5, 2011

Canadian Angels?



Well the other day I got to witness a lesser known but longer lived group similar to the famed "Blue Angels". I'll call this group the "Canadian Angels" as in geese! What a treat! The Blue Angels are not the only birds that fly in perfect synchronization. I think the real birds have been doing it for a lot longer as these photos show. I pulled up to a small lake that had some ducks and geese already going about their business of acting like ducks and geese and I looked up just in time to see these beautiful Canadian Geese cup their wings and commit to landing on the lake(above pic).
 
It is not very often one gets a chance to capture them from air to water so I added a couple more pics showing the beauty of these amazing birds just before landing(above pic) and as they landed on their webbed feet and skied to a stop(below).

How awesome to witness this whole event! But wait, there is more! Just as they all landed, one of the lead geese headed straight for a goose that was already on the water and proceeded to give him(or her) a good ole fashion whupping(pic below). Now to the untrained eye, this may look like they were making out, but I assure you that was not the case. I don't know if that goose was parked in the wrong spot, or if maybe it had been making goo goo eyes at the other goose's gal, or maybe it was a family feud, but what ever the reason they went at it for about a full minute and then they both went their separate way. Needless to say, there was plenty of goose talk going on and I can only image what they may have been saying to each other. Ha Ha.

  
"You just never know what you may see in nature!!"
      Randy J. Schultz

1 comment:

the shaws said...

Canada geese are not Canadian, a common mistake!