Saturday, August 28, 2010

Setting Evening Sun


Snapped this shot near Red Bay, AL just before sun set. I was using a point and shoot with no lense or filter, just natural light and composition. Is God not the most awesome artist you have ever seen? One day several years ago, I was in a favorite spot and trying to do some writing but my mind would not focus and I was having trouble generating anything worthwhile to put to paper. Frustrated, I looked down at my paper and noticed it had a golden glow as the setting sun cast it evening rays on me. In a matter of minutes I had wrote the  poem below. Thank you Father, you always show us a way when we seem to have trouble finding our own.

Writers Block
As I take pen in hand
The words won't seem to flow
But as I stare at this paper
It has a warm and gentle glow

For what is the reason
There can only be but one
There's nothing quite as splendid
As the setting evening sun

I have sat all day long
And nothing has gone well
I scratched and I scribbled
And there is nothing I can tell

And as I sit here and struggle
To find the words to write
I am constantly reminded
By this precious golden light

My mind may draw a blank
And I'm the weary one
But there's nothing quite a splendid
As the setting evening sun.

               Randy J. Schultz:  November 22, 2003

2 comments:

Susie Swanson said...

Ain't that the truth. I've done the same thing so many times but you turned out an amazing write on this one. I hate writer's block..

pumpkydine said...

It is on very few occasions I sit down with the intention to write something. But this day was one of those few and it just wouldn't work. As I sat and staired at a blank pad, the golden light just caught my attention and there was my poem. Most always I have to be moved by a subject in order to put the pencil to it. Sometimes there is a long span in between but that its alright. Thanks for your comment.