Monday, August 2, 2010

Seeking Shelter From the Rain

House Sparrow (Passer domesticus)
It was during a very nasty lightening storm last week that I heard a noise on the outside of a window in our house. When I opened the blinds to see what it was, to my suprise, this bird was perched on the window clinging on with breast pressed against the glass. It was lightening terribly and raining pretty hard also and I guess this little female House Sparrow was seeking shelter under the eave of our house. It sat there long enough for me to grab this quick shot and then it flew off into the storm.

"I once had a sparrow alight upon my shoulder for a moment, while I was hoeing in a village garden, and I felt I was more distinguished by that circumstance than I should have been by any epaulet I could have worn."
Henry David Thoreau (1817- 1862):  American Author, Poet, Naturalist, Philosopher

(by the way a epaulet is "a shoulder ornament for certain uniforms, usally military uniforms used to denote importance or some special honor or significance)

No comments: