Saturday, May 28, 2011

Scorpion King!!

I guess if your blog is based mainly on all of God's creation, sooner or later you are going to have an encounter with some of those unpleasant critters that share this planet with us. Well, say hello to one such critter.





They say there is a first time for everything and I guess that includes an up close and personal encounter with a scorpion! Yikes! I have never met one before this opportunity and my perceptions were right on in that "I don't like the little buggers." I believe this is the Southern Unstriped Scorpion or also called the Southern Devil Scorpion (Vejovis carolinianus). I read that it is not poisonous but may cause pain and swelling around the bite area and can cause allergic reactions in persons susceptible to stings and bites. This one made itself known while visiting some relatives in East Tennessee. I didn't hang around for the execution, but I am confident it was carried out!

"Above all things, never be afraid. The enemy who forces you to retreat is himself afraid of you at that very moment."
 Andre Maurois (1885-1967) : French Author

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh yeah. It was most definitely carried out! Chris

pumpkydine said...

Thanks for the comment! I felt sure it would be. Ha Ha!

Rick said...

I assume they have some beneficial purpose (?) for being here, but I wouldn't shed a tear at their demise either.

Great shots - I never knew they were in Tennessee ! (I have one at home - safely ensconced in glass - bought in Arizona).

pumpkydine said...

Well I guess you are right about some beneficial purpose other than to scare the jeebers out of normal folks. Ha Ha! I didn't realize they were even east of the Mississippi until I started trying to identify this specie. Oh well, I will definitetly look more closely everwhere I go now. LOL. And leaving those boots outside on the porch ain't gonna happen anymore!