Thursday, October 1, 2009

Narrow Leaf Sunflower


Narrowleaf Sunflower ( Helianthus angustifolius ) is a common wild flower to North Mississippi, often found along road sides and uncultivated fields. It adds a brilliant yellow to an often boring roadside on most rural country roads. Usually blooms from August to October.                                                              

To Cast My Eye Your Way

How oft have I passed your way
And never a glance gave you
Off to more important things
The things I must daily do

If only I had cast an eye
From down the path I followed
To gaze upon the beauty there
Along meadow, brook and hollow

All shapes, sizes and colors
Yellow, Gold, Red and Blue
Asters, Iris, Lily and Violets
To name but just a few

All made by God and placed for me
To brighten up my day
If only I had took the time
And cast my eyes your way
                       Randy J. Schultz  Oct 1st, 2009

Footnote: I took this picture and wrote this poem on Oct 1st, and a few days later I came by this spot again. I actually thought the flowers would still be there but the county had came along with their road crews and bush hogged the road sides. My flowers were gone. Never miss an opportunity to observe something or spend a minute or two with someone. You never know if they will be there the next time you pass by.

No comments: