Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Coon Dog Cemetary


Just a few miles outside of Red Bay, Alabama in Franklin County in the northwest corner of the state lies a little know cemetary. It's not your run of the mill cemetary for the only patrons buried there are Coon Dogs.
It dates back to September 4th, 1937 when a coon dog named "Troop" was put to rest in the hallowed ground. Since that time many faithful partners of the hound dog variety have made this their last resting place on this earth. A fitting memorial of two hounds clawing to get up a tree that they have just run a coon up, stands to commerate all the coon dogs buried here. It is still active today as the last service held was for a dog named "Flop" buried on August 8th, 2009. Now at first thought, one might think this is just a little strange, but I would beg you to hold all notions of wierd, looney, insane or any other adjective that might come to mind until you think about it for a while. Better yet, visit there and spend a little quite time just pondering all the tales and stories and memories that go along with the lives of these animals we call man's best friend. I have to say it is a little emotional to walk through the cemetary and just imagine if they could all tell their story. I couldn't help feel a part of their lives as I strolled from grave to grave and saw the names and dates of these faithful ole hunting partners. This poem came to mind as I began to leave the cemetary.

The Ballad Of "Ole Number Seven "

I'm just an ole hound dog
I ain't good for much
Laying around all day
Eating and sleeping and such
Resting my ole bones
And healing up my paws
Waiting til the sun goes down
For to exercise my jaws
Cause when the sun does drop
Down behind the hills
And the moon slowly rises
And gives the air a chill
My ole nose goes to twitching
And sniffing out the air
My heart begins to quicken
Sending ripples through my hair
Ears that drooped all day
Now turn and face the breeze
Trying to catch the sound
Of coon talk in the trees
From across the way it comes
Old Red lets out a sound
A verse of hound dog music
"Boys the coons have hit the ground"
The time it is upon us
A hunting we must go
We'll gather at the river
Where the mountain waters flow
Who'll cross the trail
Where ole Cooney has left a scent
And be the first to tell'm all
I'm the best there's ever bent
But on this night I fear that I
Must stay here on this porch
Mine eye does hold a flicker
Where once they held a torch
And as the race heats up
They make their music loud
Old Red and Bear and Preacher
They lead this coon dog crowd
And Sam and Doc and Troop
What quite a six they make
To lay here just a listening
Is more than I can take
For when I was a younger dog
I was a cooning all the time
No better nose for trailing
Had any dog than mine
Ole Cooney would often lead us
Far and wide we'd go
Through valley and over mountain
Through rain and wind and snow
But before the night was over
We'd put ole Coon to tree
There was none any better than
The other six and me
But tonight would be the last time
I would hear them sweet and loud
To run but one more race with them
Would make me oh so proud
But I must race alone tonight
For I was "Ole Number Seven"
My final race will lead me
Straight up to Coon Dog Heaven
And as the flicker in my eye
Turned to embers in the dark
I knew they had treed ole Cooney
I could tell the way they barked
Don't worry none ole partner
Was the last thing they said
Ole Cooney done his best
But we've sent him on ahead
We didn't want you lonely
When you get to Coon Dog Heaven
So strike his trail and keep it hot
Our friend "Ole Number Seven"
          
         Randy J. Schultz   October 6th, 2009








2 comments:

Susie Swanson said...

Wow, this is so good. I can relate to this kind of poetry. My son and brothers used to coon hunt all the time.. I love writing about things from the past. it gives me a rush like nothing else..love this..

pumpkydine said...

Susie, you are too gracious with your words but thank you very much. This is the longest poem I have written and it just popped in my mind as I was leaving the cemetary. Within about an hour, this was the finished product. There is something special about the bond between dog and man, especially when they are hunting buddies and I could just feel the stories and relationships that these dogs represented. Some may think it weird but hey, they are part of God's creation.
Have a blessed day.